BUDGET-FRIENDLY LIVING ROOM WINDOW TREATMENTS


Last week I shared how our living room is slowly turning into an adult-looking space. One of the ways I accomplished this was by adding some living room window treatments to the mix. We also got new couches, in case you missed the post and need a refresher on what the living room looked like before.
I’m going for more of a casual vibe in the living room. And after looking over a lot of my inspiration photos, I noticed many of the living rooms had bamboo roman shades paired with white curtains. So this this the route I took.
Finding the woven shades was difficult because everything I came across was so expensive. Seriously, similar shades to the ones I purchased were around $200-$250 each. And I don’t know about you, but I can think of much better ways of spending that much money.
budget-friendly window treatments


To get an idea of how much window treatments can change the look of a room, I thought I’d show a little before and after. So here’s what the right living room window that flanks the fireplace looked like sans window treatments:
woven shades with linen curtains
We hung the woven shades first, and Brad was all, “This is fine, why do we need curtains? I think it’s going to be too much.” And I was all, “Trust me. I know what I’m doing.” Wouldn’t you know, he said, “I have to admit, it looks really good with the curtains”?
*brushes dirt off of shoulder*

THE CURTAINS & CURTAIN RODS

Because our set of three living room windows is so wide (120 inches to be exact), I doubled up on the curtain panels. I went this route so everything would look balanced. Because when you have a big set of windows and one curtain panel on each side, it looks off. I also doubled up so the curtains can stretch across the windows.
I’m not typically a fan of using black in my home decor, but I decided to go with black curtain rods. I think they tie in nicely with the black fireplace surround. Plus, I was able to use 20% off coupons to save a little cash on the curtain rods.
For reference, the set of three windows has a 120″-180″ rod and the two windows that flank the fireplace have 36″-66″ rods.
living room with white curtains and woven shades

Since I’m going for a more casual vibe in the room, I opted for linen cotton curtains. And because we have 9 foot walls downstairs, I got the 108″ length, unlined. The curtains were on sale for $25 per panel when I bought them, which is an amazing deal for 108″ linen cotton curtains. Follow me on Instagram (@twotwentyone), because I share in my stories whenever they go on sale. And speaking of Instagram Stories, I’ll try to post some videos of the shades and curtains later today so make sure you’re following me.
The curtains lean a tad yellow, which I wasn’t expecting. But it’s not a huge deal to me. I should probably hem them because they pool more than I’d like. But that’s not high on my priority list right now.
And remember, when hanging curtains, you want them to be high and wide. Mount the curtain rod a few inches from the ceiling. And the curtains should barely cover the windows when drawn open.
natural bamboo shades with white linen cotton curtains

THE WOVEN ROMAN SHADES

When it came to the living room window treatments, I knew I wanted woven shades. And I’m so happy I finally came across these budget-friendly bamboo shades. They’re a great color (no orange undertone), cordless, and very budget-friendly. There’s also a gray driftwood color as well.
I ordered five 35 inch by 70 inch bamboo shades at $46.78 each for a total of $250.27 (that includes tax).
natural bamboo shades

Since the woven shades are cordless, I use my hand to maneuver them up and down.
This is what the backside of the shades looks like.
cordless woven shade

Here’s how the woven shades look when they’re pulled all the way down. They block the harsh sunlight and darken the room. If I want the room darker, I pull the curtains shut.
We don’t really have a need for blackout curtains in the living room, so the curtains are unlined.
living room window treatments

You can somewhat see through the shades because they aren’t lined. So if you’re a very private person or have a creepy neighbor, I recommend pairing these with curtains that you can close.
window treatments for a living room

If you’re looking for window treatments for a living room, I highly recommend these budget-friendly woven shades and linen cotton curtains.

This article adopted from this site

Post a Comment

0 Comments